Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Maybe Baby...or Babies

I've been working on this for a while now, but it's taken me until now to get it on the blog and in front of others. This is the start of our pregnancy story. There are some things I can't wait to share, and some things that I'm not so excited about. I don't quite know what I hope for sharing this, but maybe it will be entertaining or informative or touch your heart. Here goes nothing.

Overwhelmed.

That was the word that came to mind the minute we found out we were having twins. Chase and I had been trying to get pregnant for a couple of months, but weren’t really trying too hard. We didn’t want it to seem like a struggle and knew that God would bless us with a baby whenever He felt ready. We were trusting in His perfect timing.

July 31, 2014, rolled around. I had been working all summer at a great program for kids called Horizons, and Chase had been coaching soccer and had just started working at our church as the middle school program director. We were so looking forward to the new school year and all of the great things God had in store. I had such an excitement to be working with middle and high school students at church, and to start a new school year with more experience.

When I first thought I could be pregnant, I was only a couple of days late. I began praying for my future children each night and just telling God that if this was His timing that I hoped we were pregnant. If this wasn’t His time, then I just prayed that He would help me to be patient until that time came. (Sidenote: I have always wanted to be a mom. I’m the oldest of five children, always grew up babysitting, and couldn’t wait to have children of my own. Becoming a mother is and always has been my heart’s desire.)

The day before I took a pregnancy test, I went to Chase’s parent’s house to do some laundry. We didn’t have a washer and dryer at the time, so we would always take ours to their place and just spend time with them or watching tv or using the internet. This particular day, no one was home. I spent over an hour looking at youtube videos of couples doing pregnancy reveals for their friends and families. I watched ultrasound after ultrasound videos of people expecting twins. Then, I watched way too many gender reveal videos. I couldn’t get enough. (You can see some of my favorites here and here) I was overwhelmed with how excited everyone in the videos were to get such great news. I thought about how wonderful children were and I prayed that I could be patient enough to wait until I was able to be that excited.

The night before I took a pregnancy test, I remember walking our dog, Chandler, with Chase around our apartment complex. I told Chase that there was a very good possibility that we were pregnant. He seemed a little surprised, but approached it in a kind of “we’ll see” attitude. (He had heard me say this to him every time I was more than a day late, so it wasn’t new news). I began thinking and asking him how he thought we should tell our families and friends, but he told me not to get ahead of myself and that we would see in the morning and go from there.

Friday morning, July 31st, 2014, I woke up bright and early and took a pregnancy test. I only had one test left over and I was anxious to see the results. I prayed that the results, whether negative or positive, were the actual results. I didn’t want to see a false positive or negative, and I just wanted God to show me positive or negative. After taking the test, I put the top on, and laid it face down so that I wouldn’t peek at the results. After about 20 seconds, I realized that I probably shouldn’t have put the test down because it could make it inaccurate, so I flipped it over. And I peeked.


It was positive. 

2 comments:

  1. Eeeeekkkk! I'm so excited for you, love hearing your story!! Love you girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your story Courtney!!! Congratulations and I can't wait to see what the future brings.

    ReplyDelete