Saturday, June 15, 2013

Birchbox Review - Beauty Diaries

You all know my love for all things birchbox - birchbox magazine, birchbloggers, and the actual boxes of course. However, I don't think that I've told you all yet that I am currently getting two boxes a month. Cheater, cheater, pumpkin eater, I know. Here's the deal. When you go to subscribe for birchbox, you are put on a waiting list (because birchboxes are sent out on a schedule, not just randomly). So I put my name on the list. Then, because of my slight obsession love of birchbox, I kept seeing all of the tweets, instagrams and posts about all of the great things in their April box and I just couldn't miss out! So, I bought myself a 6 month box subscription. About two weeks after that, I got my invite to join and I just went ahead and did it. So, for four more months, I will be getting two boxes a month. And the great thing is, they've been filed with different samples.

 Here's the scoop on May box #1.


Folle de Joie eau de parfum by Joie - I've usually fairly hesitant about fragrance samples, but I've found that the fragrance samples that come in birchboxes are wonderful, and this is no exception. With its mix of mandarin, sandalwood, and rose, this fragrance is perfect for summer.

Matchbox Itty Bitty Nail Files by Tweezerman - These teeny nail files with adorable polka dots are great to throw in your purse or desk drawer. Great for touch ups and not as flimsy as other miniature nail files I've tried.

Color Contrast Eyeliner by Sumita - To sum up how awesome this eyeliner is, I'd like to quote a voicemail left by my amazing friend and fellow birchbox lover, Sarah Wood. She had just gotten her May birchbox and calls to talk about it, and of course, I'm at work like always so she leaves this voicemail, "Friend, I was just calling to tell you that my eyeliner today, I put it on at 6 this morning and went to kettlebells class at 4:30 and was drippin nasty sweat, and it still looks good, ok. Like that is so impressive and I'm about to go order some of that and I just wanted to know if you had as good as results with it because I think its fabulous. Best eyeliner I've ever used. Love birchbox. Love your blog. Talk to you later." Seriously, this eyeliner is that good.

Classic Face SPF 30 Cucumber Moisturizer for Face by Coola - Why have I not heard of this brand before?? With pale porcelain skin like mine, I am always using sunscreen...always. One of my biggest complaints about always having to layer on the SPF is how it makes my skin feel and the smell. This product, which is a mineral sunblock infused with organic antiaging ingredients, fixes both of those things. My skin doesn't feel greasy or weighed down, and it smells good enough to eat. So glad Birchbox introduced me to this brand!

Protect & Detangle by Beauty Protector - I was so excited about trying this product because my long hair (which is now much shorter) was always getting tangled and breaking. When I first received this product in my birchbox, the pump didn't work. I was quick to email the customer service department at birchbox asking what to do. They emailed me back within a day or two with advice to try and get the pump to work, and also to say that another sample was on its way in case I couldn't get it to work. Birchbox has amazing customer service. This spray not only detangles, but also locks in color, adds shine, and nourishes hair all while smelling like cotton candy. So great.


And for May box #2

Classic Mint Toothpaste by Marvis - So you can't love everything you get from birchbox, and this is one of those not for me things. The toothpaste isn't terrible, but I was expecting a much stronger peppermint flavor like an altoids. That wouldn't been awesome, but for me, this product was just ok, and since I have extremely sensitive teeth I will be sticking with my sensodyne anyways.

Protect & Detangle by Beauty Protector - A repeat from the first May box, and I'm glad it is. This bottle I put in my gym bag and use it after working out to give my hair a little boost. 

Obliphica Nourishing Mask by amika - This conditioning mask, packed with omega acids and vitamin C boosts shine and helps repair split ends...and like most other birchbox products, smells amazing

Obliphica hair treatment by amika - This was a "beauty extra" in this month's birchbox, and it paired so well with the amika nourishing mask. If you're looking for shiny hair without a greasy effect, definitely try this oil treatment.

Eco beauty waterproof Makeup Remover by La Fresh - I'm fairly new to the makeup remover wipes, but to me these makeup remover wipes seemed just ok. They got the job done and left my face feeling nice and smooth, but it didn't have a very good smell - not a bad smell, just like a bland wipe type smell, if that makes any sense. 

Daily Correct SPF 35 CC Cream by Supergoop - I also tried this product in an April box and love that is protects against UVA, UVB, and infrared-A rays. The coverage from the CC cream is also fantastic and it spreads easily during application and looks flawless. The only con to this product is that it is too dark for my skin tone. So, my olive skinned friends with be receiving sample. 

I know this post was so long, but I hope you learned about some new products that you might like to try. I'll try to post my box reviews separately in the future as to avoid an overdose on birchbox, but I'm not making any promises ;) 

Love birchbox as much as me? Love something else more? Let me know in the comments below :)

- Courtney







No comments:

Post a Comment