Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Movin' on Up To...Second Grade

Near the end of this school year, our principal told our first grade team of six that the district had only slated our school for FOUR first grade teachers for the upcoming school year, and that we would have to decide amongst ourselves who would be moving to second grade. One of our team members had already decided to take the upcoming year off to help out her husband with his business, but no one else wanted to move. At. All. Once you have a good team together that really works as a team, it's hard to split that up - much less voluntarily leave.

So, we told our principal that she would have to decide who went up. One day I barged into her office with some forms and saw my name on her board as going to second grade. At first, I was a bit disappointed. This had only been my first year with this team, but I felt like I had found my niche and really didn't want to leave. After a while of trying to get my brain used to the idea, I came around to thinking that this might be a good thing after all.

One of the hardest things will be moving my classroom. During post planning, I took the time to organize, label, and pack up all of my classroom things. I really wanted to clean out my first grade room so that whoever moved into it in the fall would have a nice, clean space to start with. This involved throwing out A LOT. Our custodian was so annoyed with me everyday of post planning, but overall my old classroom looks nice and neat and ready for my friend Ellen to move into.

Now that I have all of my classroom things packed up, I'm ready to move into my new room...only problem is that this new room is much smaller, dirtier, and so cluttered from the previous teacher. So, instead of telling you what I would like to do with my new classroom, I would like to post pictures of it now and ask for your suggestions. I'll also be posting pictures of classroom inspiration and ideas for turning this space into a great teaching area.

Here is my new classroom:
There are two large closets at the back of the room. I like the blue color, but will definitely need to either repaint or cover these with something.

Mr. Giraffe and also Mr. Lincoln (you can see him in the last picture) have got to go. They just simply don't fit my owl classroom theme. Any suggestions on which color to paint over them? I'd like to go with white, but I'm just not sure it would completely cover them.

Some shelving units and bulletin boards. I know one of them will be a word wall.

Not too thrilled with the white board, and I think Alex may agree. 



Yep, there's Mr. Lincoln...I mean, what the heck. I like that this classroom has a built-in ledge in front of the windows. I'd like to try some different paint combinations and add in small lamps to really make this classroom super cozy.

I want to find a new desk to house the two student computers. Not only does this just look messy and unorganized, but the computers and keyboards don't even fit...

Here's my classroom view from the door. Any suggestions (pictures or comments) or links to pins or websites of your favorite classroom looks would be greatly appreciated!!

- Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment