Saturday, May 4, 2013

Who can say if I've been changed for the better...

You may have noticed that my blog has been feeling a little lonely lately. If you follow me on any other social media outlet, you will already know, but for anyone reading that may not know, let me explain.

Chase and I received a phone call on Thursday, April 18th that my dad was going to the hospital via ambulance because he was having a hard time breathing. My dad was diagnosed with Stage 4 kidney cell carcinoma on April 22, 2010 - my 21st birthday. Since his diagnosis, my dad has tried nearly every treatment option available to him, including some experimental/trial options via M.D. Anderson in Houston, Texas. For a while, the cancer was responding well to the treatment and his tumors that were present in his kidney, liver, and stomach were shrinking. Eventually, the treatment stopped working as well and the cancer spread to his pancreas, stomach, brain, and eventually lungs. Chase and I drove home to be with my dad and family and stayed until he passed away on April 23, 2013 - the day after my 24th birthday. There were many sweet and personal moments with my dad and family during the days that we were at his bedside. One thing is for certain, my dad never stopped fighting to stay with us, and we will miss him so much.


...but, because I knew you, I have been changed for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment